Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Week 11



Essential question: What are my challenges and successes in implementing my unit? 
The biggest challenge that I am discovering is that I am not able to teach the unit in the classroom. So, a lot of the plans must be scaled back and some do not apply. It has also been challenging to make sure that we can meet for long enough to do some learning, but not so long that L becomes disinterested. She is consistently moving and I am working on some ways to help her have movement and still work on the unit.
               We are figuring it out and she has made progress though the unit. It is interesting to try and figure out how to brake everything up. I could be with L for a lot longer than if I was at school. I think that it will be good when we get to the book making part. L will have a lot of time to work on the book and won’t have to stop to start a new subject. I just hope that she keeps her interest in the unit, if not it will be a struggle to teach the whole thing. So far, so good though.
               If anybody has suggestions for teaching students with a lot of energy  I would love to hear them and try to implement them.

4 comments:

  1. Chelsea,
    I am also working outside of my usual space as well. I find it challenging, but I was able to finish my short unit. In my student’s evaluation, he did say that he thought we did not have enough time to work on the tasks. I will need to allow more sessions with lesson tasks, I guess I was over zealous in thinking we could get so much done in the short sessions.

    Good luck,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it feels like we can just sit down and finish it all in one day, but that is usually not best for a child's learning. For me it seems necessary to do a lot because L and I have to meet up with the help of her parents. So, I feel bad having to ask to meet again and again, but they will enjoy the book at the end I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like both you and Josie are challenged with a “class” of one, and it seems that it would be nice to have this, but having tutored in the past with single students at one time, it can still be a challenging situation. I mentored a colleague in using more tech in their class this semester, and it can be eye-opening. I understand the issues of time allotment, pacing, and staying motivated. I think a classroom full of students can make things a little easier because the dynamics of the student’s behavior are affected. Kids that struggle can clam up, and those that don’t understand can become a defiant. Seems there are always challenges when learning! As for ideas about kids with lots of energy, make them mobile. Move them, use physical activity, and try to divert attention at all times. Keep them busy. Sounds easy to say, but difficult to implement. Also try music, and dance in some way. I’ll read your blog next week to find out how things went! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your response. I have been trying to keep her busy and keeping the actives going. I will try to add music as well, She might like that.

    ReplyDelete